Friday, October 24, 2008

Welcome to the new blog!

Here's a really great quote I happened to see featured on a card today on Debbie's blog

Just living is not enough.
One must have sunshine, freedom
and a little flower.
~ Hans Christian Anderson

I know we don't all have perfect weather, etc. LOL but I interpret this to mean sunshine in the mind, freedom in the spirit, and a little flower as a purpose to fulfill. I love the quote because no matter what our condition in life or limitations we can all strive for these things.

Ever notice how sometimes the seemingly smallest thing in a hard day makes everything all better? A kind word from someone, an unexpected thing of beauty, a tough task achieved? I'm starting to think it all comes down to being grateful, which leads to contentment. I have such a hard time being content - I always feel like I need to have more, be more, do more... but I find when I'm not grateful for the small things the big things don't mean as much either.

A while back I read an article with Deborah Norville in the Sunday extra and she talked about keeping track of the good things in an effort to be more grateful. It really struck me and I started a JUST THREE challenge for myself, and I'd like to share it with you in case it's just what you're needing!

JUST THREE challenge

Grab a stack of index cards and a trusty pen or pencil. Now put them where you can access them easily LOL Each day take one card, write the day's date on it and as "good" things happen thru out the day, jot them down. You only need 3, but there is no limit. At the end of the day, read thru your list, thank the Lord for your blessings and the ability to recognize them, and get your card for the next day in a spot where you won't forget it :o)

Here's what my first card said:

3 Cool Things Today 8-12-08

11am - It's raining softly all morning - I love how it sounds, how it cleans everything, how it makes the birds chirp softly, how I can be happy about it when a lot aren't. I most love seeing the raindrops falling.

4:30 pm - When I went to get the PO mail there was a handstamped card from the woman who bought my old Button Bear stamp set!

I got a Complementary issue of Take 10 today because I had an Oxford Impressions "Country Girl" sample card in it.

See, that's all there is to it, and you don't even have to get that wordy! I had actually forgotten a couple of these things and they brought a smile all over again. It can be like a little diary for those of us who can't manage to keep one :o) You will be so surprised how this simple little exercise will encourage you to actually look for all kinds of things that are happy moments, no matter how down you're feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment